All women use fabric softener and dryer sheets when they clean the house.
Recent studies discovered that these cleaning products contain toxic chemucals that can cause numerous health problems to you and your family.
If you use these cleaning products, they can cause you allergic reactions, can affect reproductive health and can increase the risk of developing asthma, because they contain Dipalmitoylethyl hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate, which is toxic.
Also, dryer sheets end up in landfills where they contaminate soil and underground water supply.
The fresh scent they give your clothes is due to a coctail of chemicals which can cause skin irritation, damage to the respiratory and nervous system and other health problems.
To protect yourself and your family without sacrificing your laundry routine, try these reusable dryer balls!
DIY Scented Dryer Balls
These dryer balls absorb moisutre, provide better air circulation, and rotate clothes in order to dry the clothes quicker. In fact, they can decrease drying time by 30 to 50% .
They don’t contain toxic ingredients, so they are safe for sensitive skin. If you want, you can add your favorite essential oil for extra freshness, before use.
You will need:
- A crochet hook
- One skein (120 yards) of 100% undyed wool
- One knee-high pair of pantyhose
- In order to make a small ball, wrap the yarn around a couple of fingers 10 times or so.
- After that, remove the yarn from your fingers and wrap tightly about 10 times around the middle.
- To build a round shape, you will need to continue wrapping the ball, changing direction continuously. Make sure to wrap tightly to get a solid ball.
- Once you get the size of a golf ball, cut the yarn and pull the end through the ball with your crochet hook.
- Repeat Steps 1-4 to make 2 more balls.
- You need to place your wool balls in your pantyhouse, knotting the pantyhose between the balls.
- Run your wool dryer balls through the hot cycle in washer and dryer. This will help them “felt” and become solid balls.
- After that, take your balls and wrap them with more yarns in order to get the size of tennis balls.
- Repeat steps 6-7.
- You should remove the balls from pantyhouse and you can use them in the dryer as a substitute for dryer sheets.