The first tube producing microwaves known as magnetron was invented during World War II, by two scientists. Due to combining the magnetrons with Britain’s radar system, the microwaves have ability to find Nazi airplanes that were on a mission to bomb the British Isles.
By chance, Percy LeBaron Spencer of the Raytheon Company found that microwaves can be also used in cooking purposes. He discovered this when the radar waves melted a candy bar in his pocket. Radar Range is the name of the first microwave available on the market, and it was as heavy and as large as a refrigerator.
Various studies suggest that unfortunately, microwave ovens are detrimental to our health.
How do Microwave Ovens Heat/Cook Food
Alternating currents cause change of polarity in the atoms. This creates friction which then causes vibration in the water inside of the food molecules. Consequently, the food heats up.
How are Microwave Ovens Dangerous
There are 2.45 billion hertz inside the microwave oven, which is fine. However, as the seal of the microwave door ages, it begins to leak. It was shown that the frequency amount of 10 hertz is harmful for the human body. Make sure you never stand near an operating microwave, as you simply won`t know that your body is being harmed by the leak until the damage is already done.
Harmful Effects of Microwave Oven on Human Body
- Weakened immune system
- Lowered resistance to viral and bacterial infections
- Causes birth effects
- Cataracts- due to the lack of blood vessels to dissipate the cellular stress and heat from the microwave
- More serious illnesses
What does the Microwave Oven do to our Food
- The radiation from the microwave destroys and deforms the molecules in the food, creating dangerous radioactive compounds
- Microwaved Infant formulas’ structure is altered, changing the components in amino acids, creating immunological abnormalities
- According to the Swiss scientist, Hans Hertel’s study, microwaving food degrades and depletes food of its nutrients
- Breaks chemical and molecular bonds
- Breast milk cooked in microwave looses 96% of its antibodies
- According to a 1992 study which was conducted by the Search for Health and investigated the effects of participants who consumed vegetables prepared in microwave, it was found that the participants experienced decrease in white blood cells, rapidly increase in cholesterol levels, decrease in hemoglobin (causing an anemic-like conditions), and increase in leukocyte ( indicating cell damage and poisoning)
However, it turns out that even if your microwave oven is perfectly sealed, you are still exposed to the detrimental levels of electromagnetic fields. The EMF are used for x-ray machines and have the ability to penetrate the human bodies, but they are also causing serious health issues.
The limited exposure to EMF recommended by EPA is 5mG-2.5mG.By standing 4 inches from your food cooking in the microwave, you are exposed to 100-500mG. By standing 3 feet away from the operating microwave, you will be exposed to 1-25mG.
To sum up, even though microwave ovens may be faster and more convention way to cook your food when compared to the conventional oven, it is in fact the worse option. It affects both nutritional value of the food and your health at the same time. In other words, you and your family members will pay the price for its convenience.