Asthma is a chronic condition that causes inflammation and narrowing of the bronchial tubes — the passageways that allow air to enter and leave the lungs. Asthma symptoms affect an estimated 26 million Americans, including 19 million adults and 7 million children. There are two types of asthma: allergic, which is caused by exposure to an allergen, and no allergic, which is caused by stress, exercise, and illnesses like a cold or the flu.
Garlic is a powerful anti-inflammatory that can help clear congestion in the lung during the early stages of asthma.
- Boil 2-3 cloves in one-quarter cup of milk.
- Allow it to cool to room temperature and drink.
Lemons are rich in Vitamin C and antioxidants that help to reduce asthma symptoms.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon in a glass of water and drink regularly to reduce asthma attacks.
The caffeine in coffee can help control asthma attacks by acting as a bronchodilator. Hot coffee helps to relax and clear the airway for easier breathing. For those who don’t like the taste of coffee, hot black tea will have similar effects.
Ginger is used as a natural treatment for many illnesses, including asthma. It helps to reduce inflammation in the airways and relax the muscles.
- Mix equal parts ginger juice, pomegranate juice and honey.
- Consume one tablespoon of this mixture 2-3 times a day.
Honey can relieve asthma symptoms such as coughing, wheezing and tightness in the chest.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of honey into a glass of hot water and drink it up to three times a day.
Onions work as an anti-inflammatory to help reduce airway restriction that asthma causes. The quercetin in onions helps to dissolve mucus. Eat onions regularly to promote easier breathing.
7. CAROM SEEDS
- Boil one teaspoon of carom seeds in some water and inhale the steam, as needed. You can also drink it.
- Alternatively, heat a handful of carom seeds wrapped in a piece of cotton cloth in a microwave for a few seconds. When it is comfortably hot, place it on your chest and neck until it cools. Repeat daily until you are satisfied with the results.