Normally, most of the people shed 50 to 100 strands each day, and even more when wash their hair, up to 250 strands or more. Not noticeable though because new hair grows at the same time.
There are 3 cycles of hair growth.
Growth phase or Anagen
Transitional phase or Catagen
Sheddingphase or Telogen
Thinning of hair and hair loss is very common in women when they are in their 50’s-60’s normally. Younger women in their 30’s or even in more young age may also suffer hair loss as well.
There are a lot of ways to treat hair loss in many cases. But it is important to know why you are losing hair. The exact cause of hair loss may not be fully understood but there are some of the most common factors behind losing hair in women.
What causes hair loss in women?
Most of the times, Hair loss is caused because of one of the following factors
This kind of hair loss disorder in women “female-pattern baldness” is called “Androgenetic Alopecia”. If you belong to a family where your mother, grandmother or other women (in heredity) had the same problem at a certain age, there are chances that you may also be a victim of the same. This condition causes noticeable thinning of hair in women, usually on top of the scalp.
Severe illness, surgery, car accident or shock may cause temporary hair loss called “Telogen Effluvium”. Any stressful event in your life may disrupt the cycle of hair growth and as a result, more hair is pushed to shed (temporarily). When you get out of the stress, hair begins to grow again.
Pregnancy is also a kind of physical stress that may cause hair to fall after you deliver your baby (normally) due to the imbalance of hormones. After few months, your hair will grow back.
Insufficient Intake of Protein
If you don’t add protein in your diet, it will cause your hair to fall according to the American Academy of Dermatology the shedding of hair can start about two to three months after you stop using protein based diets.
Hormonal Changes and Hair loss in Women
Like in a case of pregnancy, switching to birth – control pills and going off can also cause telogen effluvium (temporary loss of hair) more likely if you have a family history of hair loss. Hormonal changes that occur during menopause may also have the same results in losing hair.
Frequent Hair Styling
The frequent styling of hair and treatments may also cause hair to fall like tight braids, straightening your hair, curling hair etc. Application of harsh chemicals or high heat, for instance,using hot oil massage on your scalp, ironing and drying of hair at extreme heat. These kinds of hair treatments affect the hair root and you might permanently lose your hair.
Medication and Radiation Therapy
Intake of too much vitamin A, drugs for back cancer, cardiovascular diseases, high blood pressure, arthritis,and depression may be a cause of hair loss. Radiation therapy usually used as a part of cancer treatment.
If hair loss is sudden, then there might be a medical condition behind it. A wide range of medical conditions may be the reason of hair loss but most common factors are as sudden weight loss, thyroid disorder, anemia and polycystic ovary syndrome and diabetes, Skin conditions like lupus, psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis etc.
Home Remedies for Hair Loss
Luckily we have natural remedies for rapid hair growth and to stop hair loss.
Licorice Root, Milk, Saffron Paste to Cure Hair Loss
- Make a paste of licorice , milk and saffron
- Add one tablespoon of licorice powder in 1 cup of milk and ¼ teaspoon saffron and mix them thoroughly
- Apply this paste to bald patches on your scalp before going to bed
- Leave it for the night
- Wash your hair in the morning
- Follow this recipe once or twice a week
- Add 1 cup of fenugreek in water and let it soak for over night
- Put the mixture in grinder and grind to make a paste
- Apply on your hair and wrap a towel or wear a shower cap
- Rinse off your hair after about 30 – 40 minutes
- Stick to the recipe for a month at least to get the better results
Onion Juice stops hair fall
Onion is rich in Sulfur and increases collagen to control hair loss.
- Chop an onion, cut it into little pieces and squeeze its juice.
- Apply the juice on your scalp and let it sit in for 15 minutes at least and wash hair.
- You may use this recipe twice a week for a good result.
Traditional Henna Treatment
Henna is being used for thousands of years as a natural hair color and conditioner it strengthens your hair from the roots. Though Henna can alone treat many of hair disorders but combining with other ingredients may bring revolution in hair care.
- Wash and dry about 60 grams henna leaves and add 250 ml of mustard oil.
- Boil this mixture till henna leaves burn then strain
- Apply it on your scalp regularly every day
- Store the remaining mixture in air – tight jar for future use.
Juicy Remedy to Put Breaks on Hair Loss
Carrot is not only for Bugs Bunny but it is an excellent nutritional food for health. Rich in beta- carotene which helps strengthens the structure of hair follicle. Also contains vitamin C to improve blood circulation in your scalp to allow hair growth. All you have to do is drink a glass full of carrot juice and leave the rest to juice itself
Aloe Vera Gel to Boost Hair Growth
Aloe Vera juice is one of the best recipes to prevent hair loss, balances the pH level of the scalp.
- Massage your scalp gently with Aloe Vera gel and let it for few hours
- Rinse hair with lukewarm water
- To get excellent results, you have to do this twice a week
Improve Protein Intake in Diet to avoid Hair Loss
Add protein to your diet like fish, meat, cheese, yogurt, eggs etc Lack of protein in your body may stop hair growth. If you are vegetarian or don’t prefer meat, use protein enriched vegetables like spinach, potato, beans, broccoli and soy etc.