Dark patches on the skin are known as Liver Spots or Dark Spots, Brown Spots or Age spots.
Did you know?
The chemical that gives color to our skin is called “Melanin”.
Melanin consists of “Melanocyte” cells, located in the upper layer (Epidermis) of our skin. Overproduction of melanocyte cells turns the skin color darker. People who get a lot of (UV) ultraviolet rays exposure are also at a higher risk to have brown spots on their skin and face.
Liver spots appear on face, neck, chest, and shoulders or areas of the skin exposed to solar radiations. Some medical conditions are also involved in causing brown spots like deficiency of vitamins, pregnancy, liver disease, stress, lupus (autoimmune disease), birthmarks, burns, hormonal changes, skin cancer, infections and allergies.
How to Remove Dark Spots on Skin – 10 Natural Remedies
Dark spots on face or other visible parts of the body can be embarrassing and also an indication that you are getting older, which is an annoying situation, especially for women (Don’t take me wrong girls 😀 ).
Going through laser therapy may be costly and has lots of side effects too. It’s a very common question that people ask that How to remove dark spotson skin. The truly, harmless way to get rid of dark spots or age spots is to turn to nature and get relieved by your own homemade remedies.
1. Lemon Juice a Simple Way to Remove Dark Spots on Skin
- Apply lemon juice directly to your skin where you have brown spots
- Leave it to stay on your face for 30 minutes
- Wash your skin with cold water
- Use this remedy daily for about 2 months to get remarkable results
2. Honey, Rose Water and Lemon Juice to Cure Dark Spots
- Dilute the honey, rose water or plain water with lemon juice if you have sensitive skin
- Add sugar with lemon
- Make a paste of lemon and sugar by mixing enough sugar and use as a scrub on affected area
- Wait for 5-10 minutes and rinse it off
- You may try this several times a week
3. Parsley and Lemon Treatment for Dark Spots
- Prepare a tea of parsley leaves
- Add 1 cup of fresh and chopped parsley and 2 cups of water
- Put a kettle or pot on stove to boil parsley for about 15 minutes
- Strain out parsley from tea you made
- Now add 5 – 10 drops of lemon juice
- Wait for some time to cool down
- Apply on brown spots with soft brush or cotton ball
- Rinse after 30 minutes
4. Potato and Honey for Dark Spots on Skin
- Grate a medium sized potato in a bowl
- For making a paste add some honey in it
- Smear the paste on your face or affected area
- Leave it on to your face for about 15 minutes
- Wash your face with cold water afterwards
5. Honey with Onion Juice A Natural Treatment for Liver Spots
- Finely chop up an Onion and blend it
- Squeeze and extract about a tablespoon of onion juice with cheesecloth or strainer
- Now add two tablespoons of honey in squeezed lemon juice
- Apply this mixture on affected area of skin where you have age spots
- Give it a time of about 15 minutes
- Wash your skin thoroughly till its strong smell dissipate
- My recommendation is to use once or twice a day
- You can also slice an onion and rub it on affected area of your skin directly
6. Onion Juice and Apple cider vinegar mixture
- Mix together Onion juice and Apple cider vinegar in equal proportion(as per your requirement or affected area)
- Let it on for 30 minutes ( or for as much time you feel comfortable )
- Apply the mixture on your skin with cotton pad directly
- Use this remedy once a day for 6 weeks until you notice the brown spots have started to fade
- If you are finding some positive changes , continue the treatment for further time
- You may drink diluted (3 tablespoons of Apple cider vinegar and a half liter of water) twice a day for one month at least, to get faster recovery
7. Almond for Beautiful Skin
Almond has antioxidant and moisturizing properties and almonds provide important nutrients for healthy skin, Almond mask is used for glowing skin. Also contains Omege-3 fatty acids (that our body cannot make itself), Protein, Vitamin E, Magnesium and Calcium for removing brown spots on our skin.
- Soak 8 – 10 almonds in milk for overnight.
- Other morning peel the skin of almonds and grind
- Mix ½ teaspoon of honey and one teaspoon of Sandalwood powder to make a paste
- Spread it on your face or affected area of skin and let it dry for 30 minutes at least
- Wash it off with normal tap water
Aloe Vera a Natural Way to Cure Dark Spots
Aloe Vera is being used in traditional herbal medicines and cosmetic products since 1st century. Aloe Vera juice or gel can alone cure all types of skin conditions by encouraging skin to regenerate fresh cells. You may find Aloe Vera treatment in my earlier article “Home Remedies for Itching”.
8. Aloe Vera
- The simplest way is to apply Aloe Vera gel directly to affected areas of skin,30 minutes before going to bed
- Rinse it off in the morning with lukewarm water
- Within two to three weeks, you will notice remarkable results
9. Aloe Vera, Seaweed, and Honey
- Snip off a thick and fresh peace of Aloe Vera plant or buy from any gardening center
- Extract ½ tablespoon of gel in a bowl or container
- Now add 1 tablespoon of seaweed (sea grass)
- ½ teaspoon of raw honey and mix all ingredients well
- Wait for 10 minutes (after preparation of mixture)
- Cleanse the face or affected are with natural cleanser and pat dry
- Apply this homemade mask (protect your eyes)
- Take a rest of 20 minutes
- Wash your face with lukewarm water afterwards
- Use this remedy 2-3 times in a week for two to three weeks at least for best results
10. Prevention is Better than Cure
As they say, prevention is better than cure, it’s true everywhere. So is the case with the solution of how to treat dark spots naturally.
- Protect yourself from direct sunlight and cover your body as much as possible
- Wear hat and goggles
- Be patient, persistent and consistent as the treatment may take time to fade black spots
- To give extra boost to your treatment of brown spots, drink plenty of water