The Zika virus is a threat that widely spread in parts of the US last year and continues to expand this year. The World Health Organization has warned that there is a danger the virus to spread to other countries in the world. Read some facts you need to know about this virus.
1. Zika virus is transmitted by mosquitoes and virus first appeared in Africa and Asia since the 50s of the last century. The World Health Organization earlier this month declared the virus music cast of international threat.
2. About 80 percent of those which are infected don’t know they carry the virus until symptoms appear. Only one in five infected experience any obvious symptoms.
3. One of the worst consequences of this virus are damages onto the brain in infants, which appeared in thousands of cases in Brazil. Countries which registered a number of cases of this virus, advise women not to get pregnant at this time, in order to avoid the risk of such disease to their babies.
4. The zika virus is born and grows in the tropical parts of the worlds and last year is located in the southern, central and northern America.
5. Almost the entire territory of the United States is in danger of being infected by the zika virus, except Chile and Canada – only because the mosquitoes aren’t well suited to their climate.
6. World Health Organization emphasizes not to travel to the countries infected with the virus and encourages communities to help in controlling the infection with local mosquito eradication.
7. One of the biggest fears of WHO are Olympic Games – an event of such a framework, internationally, contributing virus transmission to many different nationalities, thus spreading in many countries in the world where the zika virus isn’t reached so far.
8. There is no cure for the virus – therapies which provide the infected are relating to the treatment of the symptoms only. Drug companies say they still don’t know much about the virus, so it’s impossible to develop an effective vaccine against it for now.