The benefits of consuming vegetables of all kinds, are infinite.
As plant food consumption goes up, the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer goes down.
Eating vegetables provides health benefits – people who eat more vegetables and fruits as part of an overall healthy diet are likely to have a reduced risk of some chronic diseases.
They provide nutrients vital for health and maintenance of your body.
To make your vegetable consumption more fun, here are some interesting facts:
17 Interesting Facts about Vegetables
- This food group is one of the richest sources of essential vitamins, minerals and nutrients that can be provided to health.
- Vegetables can provide benefits to our skin, teeth, nails, hair and even help toprevent signs of ageing.
- Frozen vegetables are just as beneficial to the health as fresh vegetables.
- The nutritional value of vegetables decreases during the cooking process.
- Vegetables come in all different sizes, shapes and colors such as green, purple, red and yellow, and they are grown specifically for food purposes.
- Many green vegetables provide a great source of vitamin C and vitamin B which is are particularly good for our health. The facts are that this food group can also help us to lose weight.
- Vegetables have many healing qualities and benefits, they can help to cure many ailments or at least significantly reduce the effects.
- Beetroot leaves are very healthy as they provide vitamin A, Iron and Calcium!Beetroot has been used for the production of sugar over the years.
- The first carrots that were grown were purple in color! Orange carrots later originated from Holland.
- Raw garlic contains an antibiotic which can have a very powerful effect on the body. Eaten raw, it can help to fight against serious diseases such as cancer and stroke.
- Garlic breath cannot be cured but chewing on parsley leaves can help to reduce the smell.
- There are approximately 325 different varieties of onions if the wild varieties are included.
- One of the hottest peppers in the world is the Bhut Jolokia which is 401.5 times hotter than Tabasco sauce! Also known as the Ghost Chili & it’s cultivated in India.
- There are more than 400 types of potato; ranging in size, color and appearance, and potato provides a rich source of vitamins, minerals and nutrients; these healthy vegetables are particularly high in vitamin C.
- There are approximately 12 calories in 100 grams of boiled turnips.
- Watercress can be eaten raw which has many health benefits as raw watercress provides a great source of vitamins and nutrients.
- Brussel sprouts have many health benefits as they can help the digestive system, memory, eye health, strengthen the immune system and protect the body.