Diabetes is a metabolic disorder. It causes the blood glucose (sugar) levels to rise above normal. The condition is also called hyperglycemia
Blood glucose levels are controlled by insulin produced by the pancreases. Initially when blood sugar levels rises the pancreas produce extra insulin to balance the glucose levels, but eventually when it can’t cope up, the glucose levels remain high causing diabetes.
In diabetes type 1 body doesn’t produce insulin and it usually diagnosed in childhood itself. Where as in diabetes type 2 which is a lifestyle disorder, body is not able to use insulin properly or an insulin resistance is developed.
Diabetes type 2 can be managed with lifestyle changes, medicine and insulin.
The following 6 natural home remedies for diabetes type 2 will help you to maintain your glucose levels at normal levels.
The rich pink and red colored grapefruits are tart and tangy with an underlying sweetness. Grapefruit is excellent food for diabetes. Its pink juice may appear inviting but some people may not initially like the taste.
It is a very good source of vitamin C which helps to support the immune system. A chemical called naringenin found in the fruit has capabilities to treat type-2 diabetes.
Grapefruit juice is has tendency to interact with enzymes in the body that break down many drugs. Therefore too much use grapefruit can be harmful to those who are on any kind of medication.
How to use grapefruit?
- Drink a fresh glass of grapefruit juice daily
- Add chopped grapefruit slices in salad and eat
- Use grapefruit juice as salad dressing
2. Bitter Gourd
Bitter gourd or bitter melon is considered one of the most bitter among all fruits and vegetables.
It contains many active substances such as charantin, vicine polypeptide-p and lectin etc. These substances work independently and together to reduce blood glucose levels to manage diabetes.
- For best effect take 3-4 bitter gourds. Wash it clean, cut and remove the seeds. Make juice of the bitter gourd and drink early in the morning empty stomach daily for a month.
- You can also cook bitter gourd as vegetable for daily consumption. Different variations of cooking the dishes from bitter gourd will maintain the pleasure of eating as well as help cure diabetes.
Cinnamon is a spice used in both sweet and savory foods. Many different studies have shown that cinnamon may lower blood sugar by decreasing insulin resistance. Some other studies have been inconclusive of its significant impact on diabetes.
The spice adds flavor and taste to food so use of cinnamon otherwise also is beneficial. Though the results of different studies are neutral to useful, taking a small amount of cinnamon (1-6 grams) on a daily basis for 40 days should have shown to help reduce mean fasting serum glucose levels by 18-29%.
- Add 3 table spoon of cinnamon in a liter of water. Boil it and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain the mixture and drink it 3-4 times a day to consume the entire 1 liter mixture.
- Add cinnamon in regular food dishes.
4. NEEM Leaves
Every part of Neem tree ranging from bark, flowers, fruit and leaves have some medicinal value. Neem leaves in particular have been found to be useful in control of diabetes type 2. Chewing tender Neem leaves is a potent natural diabetes treatment. Other way to consume neem leave is to make an extract of tender neem leaves and take a tea spoon daily early in the morning empty stomach.
You can consume neem leaves in the following 3 different ways.
- Take 4-5 tender leaf from the tree and wash and rinse in clean water. Chew it slowly early in the morning with empty stomach.
- Buy or make neem leaves extract and drink 1 teaspoon everyday morning.
- Buy neem leaves tablets and consume one tablet empty stomach on daily basis. You can also make powder of dried neam leaves and consume it.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Add one table spoon of apple cider vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon of rock salt in a glass of water. Mix it well and drink it. Doing it 3 times a day is one of the very useful in diabetes
Eating two raw garlic cloves daily is a very useful for people suffering from diabetes. If eating is difficult due to its pungent smell then swallowing small pieces of cut garlic cloves is also as useful in diabetes. It has shown positive results in reducing heart problems also.